Cockroaches: Facts and Identification
Cockroaches are one of the frequently found domestic insects. Haven’t you ever seen them roaming around the dark corners of your home? These, often noticed household pests, are also known as “roaches”. Let us discuss about the facts and identification traits of cockroaches.
This disgusting pest disturbs us by spoiling our food and household items. Some of them, mostly the adult ones, make gliding flights. These deadly pests have a shining appearance, two long front antenna and spiny legs. Cockroaches are scientifically classified into the order known as “blattaria”, which comes from the Latin root word “blatta”, meaning cockroach. Cockroaches have flattened bodies, which allow them to enter buildings through cracks of loose fitting doors, windows, and electric lines or also through pipelines. They prefer to remain in the dark, moist areas of basements, floors etc.
Some facts about cockroaches:
- cockroaches prefer warm atmosphere and are frequently found in the corners of buildings;
- these deadly pests can move on difficult terrains too;
- they are mainly nocturnal in nature and run away when exposed to light;
- they remain in dark places where many of their kin are around;
- cockroaches are also found in hot or subtropical climates;
- they make hissing and chirping sounds;
- female cockroaches carry eggs in the end of their abdomen;
- cockroaches have high radiation resistance;
- sturdiest insect: some cockroaches can remain alive without consuming food for a month.
By knowing the above characteristic features, we can identify a cockroach. However, for immediate identification of the species, we need to go through the following facts about cockroaches.
- they have long feelers in front side and spiny legs;
- cockroaches live on food that we, human beings, and our pets eat.
Types of cockroaches:
There are almost 4,000 species of cockroaches and four of these species are known as pests. From the whole, only 30 species of them are found in human dwellings. Some of the popular types of cockroaches are:
- The American cockroach, which is known as Periplaneta americana. The cockroaches that fall into this type, are about 30 millimeters (1.2 in) long.
- The German cockroach, known as Blattella germanica.
- The Asian cockroach, or Blattella asahinai.
Apart from these, there are the oriental cockroach, tropical cockroach and the Permian Apthoroblattina, which are large in size.
What do cockroaches eat?
Cockroaches are mainly omnivorous. They generally feed on waste of human beings, garbage, starches, grease, plants, vegetables and fruits. However, this disturbing domestic insect also feeds on all household items like clothes, leather and also, flakes of dried skin, starch in book binding, kitchen crumbs, beer, sweets, meat products etc. There are various protozoa and bacteria in their digestive system that help in their digestion.
Are cockroaches active during the day?
No. Cockroaches are not active during the day. They are nocturnal in nature, hence, they come out at night to have their food or prey. During the daytime, they hide in the sub floors, wall cavities, corners of doors, and cracks in various places.